Today’s post is quick, because for the holiday I’m going to be prepping in the kitchen, then off to an event, so opportunity to post will be minimal.
However, I’ve been thinking about what I wrote on Monday and my future writing plans. See, once I finish cleaning up Way of the Shield, I’ll start working on Banshee in earnest. The protagonist of Banshee is Lt. Samantha Kengle.
Right here, I’m going to make this pledge regarding the writing of Lt. Samantha Kengle:
- At no point will she be called a “bitch” or a “whore”. Or cunt, strumpet, floozy, slut or quim.
- At no point will her competence or ability to do her job be called into question on account of her gender.
- At no point will rape or sexual violence be visited upon her. Nor will it play any role in her backstory or motivation.
- At no point will the reader be subjected to lurid descriptions of her physicality.
- Her uniform will be identical to every other officer’s in the fleet.
- She will be a complex, vibrant and engaging protagonist. Given that I don’t screw up in writing her. If I do screw up, reader, hold my feet to the fire.