At this point I usually like to talk about What’s To Come in my intended year. But first, let’s look at what my goals were last year at this time:
1. Book deals for Thorn of Dentonhill, Holver Alley Crew, and Maradaine Constabulary. Well, I did not get book deals for all three. So the highest goal I set did not come to pass. But who knows what tomorrow will bring?
2. Finish Rough Draft of Way of the Shield. Done.
3. Finish Rough Draft of Banshee. About 2/3 to 3/4 done. Not too shabby.
4. Attend my first Worldcon. Which I did, and in being part of the presentation for Rayguns, I had a good reason to be there. So: Done.
5. Have a good reason to start second books of Thorn, Holver Alley or Constabulary. See point 1, as before. I do have them well planned, should that good reason arise in the near future.
6. Hash out some of these random ideas into usable outlines. I actually have done this. I’ve parsed out characters, worldbuilding, and structure for a piece– as well as knocking out a few thousand words to start it out– of a potential future project.
7. Never give up. Yup.
So for 2014? Everything about that isn’t done, keep doing.
Also: I’ll be running the Writer’s Workshop for ArmadilloCon this year. Expect me to be talking more about that in the coming days.
Happy New Year! Good luck in the word mines!